The Division of Training (DepEd) purchased outdated and costly laptops for lecturers price P2.4 billion to conduct distance studying amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the Audit Fee (COA) mentioned.
Of their annual audit report on the company for 2021, state auditors reported DepEd for buying 2.4 billion pesetas price of laptops by means of the Procurement Service of the Ministry of Price range and Administration (DBM-PS) when there are cheaper and higher choices Market.
Buying laptops that have been dearer than budgeted resulted in fewer models being procured, depriving greater than 28,000 lecturers of the profit, COA mentioned.
“Primarily based on the preliminary suggestions we acquired from the auditors within the NCR and the Cordillera Administrative Area (CAR), they indicated that the laptops provided by the profitable bidder are too gradual as a result of the processor….is out of date; and the value is just too excessive primarily based on the specs hooked up to the DepEd memorandum,” COA mentioned.
State auditors mentioned DepEd got here to phrases with and agreed to DBM-PS’ value and technical specification.
“Utilizing obtainable documentation, the audit group was unable to find out the premise of the DBM-PS for assuming the unit value of 58,300 PSE. Apparently, the purported variety of laptops to be procured was considerably decreased from 68,500 models to 39,583 models, primarily because of the enormous enhance within the estimated value from 35,046p to 58,300p primarily based on the DBM-PS advice made by the DepEd duly accepted,” burdened COA.
“The worth per unit is excessive for an entry-level laptop computer, leading to a major drop within the variety of models made obtainable to supposed customers. The massive distinction of 23,253 pesos per unit value resulted in a major drop of 28,917 laptops. Because of this, an estimated 28,917 lecturers have been disadvantaged of potential advantages from the alleged provision of those laptops,” the COA added.
As well as, COA mentioned that the ultimate quantity of P58,000 per laptop computer unit shouldn’t be useful to the DepEd, contemplating that in Might 2021 DBM-PS carried out a young for a mid-range laptop computer kind and discovered that there’s one cheaper possibility for purchasing a laptop computer at P45,431 per unit.
“Positive, the value [scouted in May 2021] cheaper and the efficiency of this laptop can be a lot sooner/higher than the laptop computer the Ministry procured in the identical interval [in 2020]’ COA mentioned.
State auditor referred to the time when DepEd additionally used the companies of DBM-PS on June 16, 2020, which resulted in DepEd shopping for model new laptops with a sooner processor and with a unit value of solely 32,500 pesos and even cheaper P58 ,000 per unit bought in 2021.
“The bottom value of the identical laptop computer mannequin obtainable available on the market with a greater display, at present being monitored by the audit group, revealed that mentioned mannequin was solely from P22,490.00 as much as P25,000.00 sufficient,” mentioned COA.
As well as, COA mentioned the contract to buy a laptop computer at P58,000 per unit was awarded to the second lowest calculated bidder.
“Each the first and the 2nd lowest calculated bidder had submitted their utility for overview, however solely the latter’s utility was granted by the DBM-PS. The appliance of the second lowest calculated bidder”, in response to the state auditors.
COA mentioned the DepEd Central Workplace’s year-end 2021 monetary statements present the quantity of two.4 billion pesos has not been liquidated because of the DBM-PS’ failure to submit supporting paperwork.
In response to the COA, DepEd ought to clarify why it authorized the laptop computer value of 58,300 pesos per unit, regardless that the estimated value was primarily based solely on DepEd’s initially authorized quantity of 35,046.50 pesos.
As well as, COA mentioned that DepEd ought to implement the next insurance policies:
- Assessing the issues expressed by the recipients relating to the circumstances, efficiency and technical specs of the laptops and speaking them to DBM-PS for applicable motion;
- require the DBM-PS to file the necessities pursuant to COA Round No. 2009-001, together with the mandatory paperwork to help the liquidation of the P2.4 billion Transferring Fund pursuant to Sections 6.5 and 6.6 of the MOA; and to report;
- think about posting the notices, procurement and different paperwork on DepEd’s official web sites in accordance with clause 6.3 of the MOA; and
- Require DBM-PS to submit the necessities beneath COA Round No. 2009-001, together with the paperwork required to help and report the liquidation of the Pesos 2.4 billion Transferring Fund beneath factors 6.5 and 6.6 of the MOA
In response to COA’s findings, DepEd submitted the next paperwork:
- Appointment of contact individuals for the instructor laptop computer undertaking (Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) and Technical Working Group (TWG)
- Appointment of a further contact particular person/TWG member;
- Utility for permission to switch the funds of the undertaking: laptops for lecturers to the DBM-PS;
- company procurement request;
- Rationale for Altering Connectivity Load for Senior Excessive College to Laptops for Academics beneath Bayanihan Act II;
- DBM response doc;
- Response to the DBM Response Doc;
- Request Training Secretary Leonor Briones’ letter to Price range Secretary Wendell Avisado to request the £2.4bn Normal Administration and Oversight – Upkeep and Different Working Bills (MOOE) fund for cellular/web load supply for round 3.2 Hundreds of thousands of Excessive College College students Throughout the Nation to Change DepEd Computerization Program – Capital Outlay; amongst different.
Nonetheless, COA mentioned that citing DepEd, administration has shunned commenting on the state auditors’ different suggestions.
On the time of publication, GMA Information On-line has but to obtain a response from the DepEd spokesperson, who has been requested to remark.—LDF, GMA Information