Summer is here and now it’s finally time to have some real fun.
The Great Lakes region has some of the best boating locations in the United States. Check out this roundup of the top boating locations before planning your summer getaway.
Boating on the Great Lakes
- Saugatuck, Michigan: Saugatuck, known as Michigan’s Art Coast, is nestled on the southeastern shore of Lake Michigan. The area includes many attractions that will make your boating adventure exciting long after you disembark. Try touring the Fenn Valley Vineyards and Winery or the Historic Felt Mansion. The Express Yourself Art Barn and the Crane Orchards are popular stops, and foodies will love the fine dining at Distinctive Dining. If you want to lounge by the beach, Oval Beach is the place. Rather partake in something more adventurous? Then check out the dune rides or horseback riding.
- Erie, Pennsylvania: Erie is a popular summer destination. Lake Erie has prized fishing grounds and the lake’s warmer, shallower waters make it a prime destination for all things water sports. When you’re ready for a break from the water, Erie has lots to offer. Waldameer & Water World, the Erie Zoo and the Erie Maritime Museum are popular attractions. Go for a hike or a bike ride in Presque Isle State Park. Feeling hungry? Grab a bite at Sara’s Restaurant or try a pepperoni ball from Stanganelli’s and “sponge candy” from Romolo’s Chocolates – all local favorites.
- Mackinac Island, Michigan: For those looking to relax, Mackinac Island is the place for you. Thanks to the island’s car ban, life on the island moves at a different pace. Take in the island’s natural beauty and historic ambiance as you explore on foot, by bike or by horse. Dive into history at the island’s many museums and forts, or hike Mackinac State Park – which covers approximately 80% of the island. A trip to the island wouldn’t be complete without trying some of Mackinac’s world-famous fudge!
- Door County, Wisconsin: You’ll enjoy Door County, which is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Midwest. Peninsula Park is the perfect spot for would-be campers and hikers, and the region has more than 20 beaches that are all great for swimming and relaxing. There’s a historic lighthouse and also a wide array of options when it comes to shopping.
- Apostle Islands, Wisconsin: On the western shore of Lake Superior, just off the Bayfield peninsula, lies the Apostle Islands. This group of 22 islands boasts breathtaking scenery and plenty of outdoor adventures, including many guided activities hosted by park rangers. Explore the island’s red sandstone sea caves, hike the 50 miles of maintained trails, or scuba dive to see shipwrecks and underwater rock formations. Take a break from the sun by visiting the Madeline Island Museum to learn more about the people who have called the islands home. Eighteen islands have campsites, so the adventure doesn’t have to end when the sun sets.
We have a few final reminders before you set out on your summer getaway. While fun should be a high priority on your trip, safety should be even higher – so brush up on your boating safety tips. Put your mind at ease with boat insurance to ensure that you, your passengers, your boat and its accessories have coverage in case of an accident. A chat or phone call with your local ERIE Agent can help you get the right coverage you need.
ERIE® insurance products and services are provided by one or more of the following insurers: Erie Insurance Exchange, Erie Insurance Company, Erie Insurance Property & Casualty Company, Flagship City Insurance Company and Erie Family Life Insurance Company (home offices: Erie, Pennsylvania) or Erie Insurance Company of New York (home office: Rochester, New York). The companies within the Erie Insurance Group are not licensed to operate in all states. Refer to the company licensure and states of operation information.
The insurance products and rates, if applicable, described in this blog are in effect as of July 2022 and may be changed at any time.
Insurance products are subject to terms, conditions and exclusions not described in this blog. The policy contains the specific details of the coverages, terms, conditions and exclusions.
The insurance products and services described in this blog are not offered in all states. ERIE life insurance and annuity products are not available in New York. ERIE Medicare supplement products are not available in the District of Columbia or New York. ERIE long term care products are not available in the District of Columbia and New York.
Eligibility will be determined at the time of application based upon applicable underwriting guidelines and rules in effect at that time.
Your ERIE agent can offer you practical guidance and answer questions you may have before you buy.